Welcome!

I made the leap and decided to get LASIK eye surgery in 2012! This blog is meant for my friends, family, and others who are nervous or on the fence about having LASIK eye surgery done themselves and want to track my progress. I found that there was nothing better than hearing about and reading personal experiences from past LASIK patients when making my final decision. This is an honest account of my experience from pre-op to post-op. Feel free to share. I hope this helps those who are a little hesitant in taking the same leap that I did. Enjoy!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"I've Created a Monster"

I had an early-morning visit with Dr. D. at Nashua Eye Associates today and I must say, visiting that place during the morning is a much more pleasant experience (not that it's ever bad, though).  Calm music was playing and the place was empty.  Fast forward to the afternoon and the place is turned into the geriatric ward with walkers and wheelchairs bumping into things and really loud 'turn-your-hearing-aid-up' type voices.  I think I am always going to schedule my appointments this early, however, I thought things were going to be off to a bad start when I woke up at 6:30am and tried to brush my teeth with deodorant.......

Awesome news to report:  I see 20/15!!!!!!!  To be fair, I couldn't read the entire 20/15 line, but I saw enough of it to count, I guess.  Neither the 20/20 or the 20/15 lines were super crisp, but I was told that will come with time and it probably had something to do with my eyes being dry.  I was told the morning is when our eyes are the driest, and I can certainly attest to that.  I hadn't taken my Restasis drops yet, so I am sure that contributed to it as well.  The longer I sat in the exam chair and let my eyes adjust, the clearer I could see the 20/15 line.  In fact, when Dr. D. put a little moisture in my eyes before fully looking at them with the lamp, I could see the lines pretty clearly.

Dr. D. was shocked and really excited about my progress.  Not that he didn't think it would work, but, with my eyes being as poor as they were before, the speed of the progress I've been experiencing really is miraculous.  He sat back and said, "I've created a monster!" ... pretty cool if you ask me :)

I am now done with taking the Vigamox (antibiotic) drops and I'm down to taking the Prednisolone (steroid) drops twice a day (as opposed to four times a day).  I am keeping with the Restasis drops as well as the Refresh Optive rewetting drops as needed (bought more today).  Apparently there was another prescription I was supposed to be taking, but never received.  Dr. D. was not fazed by it and we both kind of laughed it off.  He said my eyes are healthy and there are still no ripples in my cornea.  I've been cleared to sleep without the awesome eye shields (wohoo!) and I can now let water run on my face in the shower.  No more neck-breaking shower experiences!  I am now allowed to put a warm compress on my eyes and that will allow for my eyelashes to clear up a bit (medicine drops get caught on them), however, still no eye makeup (boooo).  Also, still no rubbing my eyes.  I'm not too concerned about it.  I figure, if I've survived a week without rubbing my eyes, especially when they were at their most irritated, I'm fine to continue on.  All-in-all, everything is better than expected!  I made an appointment to come back in a month.   Dr. D. said typically he could go three months before seeing me again, but he likes to check up on his LASIK patients sooner and keep a close eye on them (pun intended).

Today, my eyes are the usual dry and still have those lovely red irritated lines at the top and feel a little sore/tired.  Dr. D. didn't mention anything other than my eyes looking great, so I'm going to assume everything is normal.

I already had one friend contact my eye doctor to set up a consultation.  He was really impressed with my results and was approved for LASIK elsewhere, but the price he was quoted was significantly more than I paid.  I'm anxious to hear how it goes.  The office should be calling him today.  If anyone is interested in hearing more, feel free to contact me.  I cannot say enough positive things about Nashua Eye Associates, Dr. D and his team, as well as the team over at Lens Doctors.  Obviously, I can only speak from my experience with them, but I'd say they are certainly among the best of the best.  If my friend ends up having the procedure done and mentions I referred him, I should get money off of my procedure, which is totally awesome.  I was referred by a friend and gave his name, so hopefully he will receive something as well.

I couldn't be happier with the way everything is progressing! :)

6 comments:

  1. That is fantastic news! I am so envious! My eye doctor told me one time that my big hope is the cataract implants that should come later in life. :-( Oh well! that is just awesome! Congratulations! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow i can say that this is another great article as expected of this blog.Bookmarked this site.. lasik surgery toledo ohio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. Yaldo Eye Center Grand Rapids

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work. lasik patient

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is so much in this article that I would never have thought of on my own. Your content gives readers things to think about in an interesting way. Thank you for your clear information. https://visualaidscentre.com/lasik-eye-surgery/

    ReplyDelete